Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gimme a "C", Gimme a "U", Gimme a "P"*....

*I had to add the "P" part because some people (LiLu, Salt) need to get their minds out of the gutter...tsk tsk you two!

Today is one of my coworker/friend's birthday. And we all know what that means...cupcakes! This time, knowing her love for Reese anything, I wanted to try something a little different. So I went with peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting.



I had to add some sprinkles to make them more festive.  Plus, she loves sprinkles!




I used a recipe from Cooks.com for the cupcake.  The recipe originally called for shortening, but I like my butter, so I switched them out.

1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. shortening  (butter!)
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 lg. eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (I don't add salt when I use salted butter..also too salty with the PB)
 
And the frosting is from my trusty Hershey's cookbook.  Which I always turn to when I need something chocolate-related.
 
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa (I used regular bc I didn't have the special dark laying around...I should though, I heart dark chocolate)
1/3 cup milk (add more 1 tsp at a time if needed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
They turned out pretty well, but I think next time I might take the butter butter out and make it extra peanut butter, and throw in some mini chocolate chips for good measure.  Because why not?  I'm also formulating a plan to make "creamsicle cupcakes".  Orange cake with either a vanilla glaze or cream cheese icing.  Maybe with some orange zest on top to make it pretty.

In other food related news...I MISSED MY OPPORTUNITY FOR BUTTER TARTS!! One of my aunts was in Canada for a few days with a friend and I didn't know about it UNTIL NOW.  I'm very distraught.  I really need to get a passport so I can go get me some authentic butter tarts.  Also, I've never been to Canada, and I'm sure there's a ton to see up there that doesn't involve mounties.  Any suggestions, Cher?

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE cupcakes! These look so good.

    I suggest you send me your mailing address. I can try sending you some. No guarantee on the freshness though - Canada Post is notorious slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha. The title of this was very misleading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmmm!!
    I'm with LiLu...I was definitely expecting this post to be something else entirely. But then I was pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is everyone blogging about cupcakes lately? Damn you! Damn you all! I try to be healthy and do the right thing and you're like multiple snakes with multiple apples trying to tempt me! Only you're bloggers with cupcakes trying to tempt me!

    One of the girls at work retired last week and someone made gluten free rocky road for her "Going away" morning tea. It actually tasted quite nice, unlike most gluten free products. (I said I eat healthy but I'm not insane)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks for posting the Harry Potter trailer!! I am a huge fan and totally excited...

    ReplyDelete